Since the release of my book Girling Up last May, people have been asking me if I can write a book about boys…
Well, wait no longer – er…wait until May 2018! I’m super-excited that this morning, we announced my new book, Boying Up!!
I have written Boying Up in the same vein as Girling Up: this book is a general guide about the anatomy, neuroscience, psychology and sociology of growing up male. I am not a medical doctor and I am not a psychologist. I never was a boy and don’t plan to be one. So what qualifies me for this book?
- I’m a mom for two boys. While I don’t know everything about boys or men, I know a lot from interacting with my sons. Their dad is a terrific mix of sporty and artsy, and we seek to raise boys who know their power and know their responsibilities as men in the making. I share some of our challenges and stories, and I also draw on the differences between how I was raised (as a female) versus the special needs of raising boys.
- I’m a scientist. I have a PhD in neuroscience and a lot of my training was in neurodevelopment, gender, hormones of puberty, and behavior. While I am not currently practicing as a neuroscientist, the book will be reviewed by an internist, a school counselor, and a psychologist, just like Girling Up was.
- I’m an observer of humans. We all observe each other’s behavior all of the time, even if we are not conscious of it. I am the kind of person who always wants to be conscious of this kind of observational lifestyle. I am constantly looking for ways to learn as a mom, as a woman, and as a woman who loves raising boys who will grow up to be men.
This book is not designed to:
- Promote any particular political or religious philosophy
- Make boys more or less masculine
- Make an argument that there is one “right” way to “boy up”
- Lecture you on how to raise the “perfect” boy
Boying Up is a journey through the body and brain of boys today, with an emphasis on the things that truly matter to boys and the people who love them. I had an incredible blast writing this book and I can not wait to share it with all of you!
See you on my book tour in May 2018!